J1. In summary, what must laboratories and individuals do each year in order to comply with the cytology proficiency testing regulations?
- Laboratories must ensure that each cytotechnologist and pathologist examining gynecologic cytology preparations is enrolled in a CMS-approved Cytology Proficiency Testing program.
- Cytotechnologists and pathologists who are not routinely employed in a laboratory must contact a CMS-approved Cytology Proficiency Testing Program directly to enroll in an approved program.
- Cytotechnologists and pathologists must be tested once per year and score at least 90%.
- Laboratories must ensure that individuals who fail a test are retested within the required timeframes.
- Laboratories must take the appropriate remedial actions for any individuals who fail a cytology proficiency test event.
- Individuals who are not routinely employed in a laboratory should contact CMS for further information.
Contributors to this page: admin
Page last modified on Wednesday 23 of August, 2006 12:06:49 MDT by admin.
The content on this page is licensed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.